Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 77: Into Canada, Again

Andy had to leave for work at 8 am so I got up and rode to the nearest diner for breakfast. I killed some time between the Royal Oak Diner and Panera Breads doing some writing until REI opened. I got three backpacking meals, a couple snacks, and a new Light My Fire spork since mine broke the morning of the racoon/skunk fiesta. Then I started riding and eventually stopped at a park in New Baltimore to check out Lake St. Clair and ended up eating at Subway in Marine City. I made a last call to Steph since I won't have cell service across the border and rode down to the ferry.
After checking out the schedule it started pouring with some of the loudest thunder cracks I've heard, as if somebody was lighting M-80s above my head. I lounged in a newly opened coffee shop and waited a little bit until the storm cell passed, then out came the jorts and I took a picture of the only welcome sign in the area. If you remember, there wasn't a Welcome to Michigan sign when I came over from Wisconsin and there wasn't one here. Not even a Welcome to America! I boarded the ferry in my jorts, which was really just an open platform that they squeezed cars onto and filled the gaps with people. I met a nice couple who gave me some great route suggestions for the next few days and the 20 minute ride only cost me $1. As I was debarking a woman in the car next to me gave me a map and her two kids asked me for an autograph. I'm pretty sure that's the first and probably last time I'll be asked for an autograph so I laughed and signed the envelope they provided. At customs the officer asked me a few things about my trip, how much money I was carrying, and what I had been using for protection. I declared honestly and she ended up confiscating my pepper spray! When I asked where I could get some more she explained that in Canada it's illegal to have items to be used as self defense such as a gun, knife, or pepper spray, even a baseball bat if the intent is self defense! I can understand the need to reduce firearms but pepper spray? I asked her what I should now do if a dog attacks me and she said "kick it". I haven't needed the mace yet but there have been a few close calls with dogs so I'll just have to be more alert and hope for the best.
Once I took my Welcome to Canada photo I started looking for an impromptu campsite. I knew there were no campgrounds nearby so I scouted local parks and yards. I was surprised how well maintained all the yards were though many were kind of bland without any bushes and just big lawns. The parks were also landscaped in this manner and I got a little nervous about finding a hiding spot before dark until I came to an apple orchard. I ducked in, walked to the couple trees in back, and after assessing my visibility smashed down some tall grass and set up camp. I was still a little nervous about stealth camping since this is only my second night but you can tell from the picture that I was pretty well concealed. I quietly thanked the farmer for the apple I snagged, made myself some dinner, and finished reading Dracula before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment