Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 7: Prairie Creek, Offroad

Today started with a hike around Prairie Creek for a bit since I got in too late last night to enjoy it. Although Humboldt Redwoods had more grandeur this park is certainly the most beautiful I've been in. The redwoods are immense but there's so much more: ferns, lush moss, a variety of trees, and abundant wildlife. Finishing the hike without a shirt and then packing up got me my first sunburn of the trip. I'm pretty rosy on the shoulders and upper back but nothing too bad, didn't notice it until tonight.

I hit the road at 1:30 and the ranger was a little shocked I was trying for Jedediah Smith today, I didn't think it would be an issue. I snagged a sandwich in Klamath which seemed to be a pretty depressing town with slot machines in the gas station/restaurant and people wandering aimlessly. Continuing on I saw the largest Paul Bunyan and Babe statues yet, Babe himself was 35' to the horn tips! Then I began to climb 101, and climb, and climb. At mile marker 15.50, just as promised by Jim on Day 5, was the start of the abandoned section of old hwy 101.

I dropped the tire pressure to ~40 psi to avoid flats and charged on. The first section was one of the most enjoyable rides since I started. The scenery was beautiful and lush, and the terrain was a mix of old asphalt and redwood needles. Then it turned to single track and eventually lost the pavement altogether and became a full on mountain bike trail. While Jim was right about my tires being able to handle the downhill, I hadn't thought about uphill. A loaded bike with smooth face tires does nothing but spin out when you crank it on gravel or foliage. So I ended up having to walk my bike about .25 miles uphill before I could ride again. Then came the downhill he described. This would be a great run for a mountain bike, for mine it was a true challenge. I was a little nervous about the brakes going out a couple times but Babe did fine and brought me down to the bottom. It was quite the adventure and I had a great time with it. Thanks Jim!

A hunger pain drove me to the Good Harvest Cafe in Crescent City for an oatmeal stout, cup of clam chowder, shrimp florentine sandwich, and a slice of 4-layer carrot cake! One thing's for sure on this trip, I'm not starving myself. This also gave me a good spot to charge my phone and camera and send a few messages out. Thankfully the cook informed me that the Stout Grove summer bridge hadn't been installed in Jed Smith so I detoured around on Hwy 199 and here I am! That Jim was just a wealth of knowledge and he proved correct again, Jed has the best H/B sites in the area! Plenty of space, good bear lockers, tables, and fire pits, as well as new-ish showers that were nice and hot!

Excited for a good ride tomorrow, Oregon here I come!

Also, today was my last official day at work, last paycheck. Guess I need to start budgeting.



No comments:

Post a Comment