Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Visit Your Parks!!

The most depressing aspect to this trip so far has been park closures. Time and again I've come to a park where some roads are closed, seasonal bridges aren't being built, or the entire park is off limits. The small communities and businesses such as the Peg House that survive on the tourism of these parks are suffering greatly.

If I inspire anyone to do anything after going on this trip and writing this blog, I hope I light the fire under your rear and you get out to a local, state, or national park. Europe has its museums and cathedrals, America has its parks and natural beauty. The parks are masterpieces that can not only be seen but experienced by every individual. Each park I've stopped at has had some glorious vista or beautiful area that I would have never know about had I not done some exploring.

I've been in a rush or distant several times during this journey, but every time I have sat down on the banks of a pristine river or at the base of an enormous redwood, nothing else has mattered except living in that natural beauty and tranquility. Memorial Day is coming up, get out there the next chance you get and visit a place of natural wonder. And don't cheat the fee, they need the funding desperately!



3 comments:

  1. Hurry up! Stop messing around and turn east.

    On a serious note, your blog is great. Enjoy every moment. The baffles are under control.

    Your Boss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thankfully forgot about the baffles. Thanks, I've added a location feature now so it should be easier to track, now that I've heard the map is up!

      Delete
  2. I just had this discussion with Mark. I always pay to park inside, Mark USED TO park outside the parks and walks in... but now he understands that paying the nominal parking fee can help keep parks open.

    ReplyDelete