Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Days 3 & 4: Peg Hole, Badass Journey, Ave of Giants

Day 3 was almost 70 miles of biking through Mendocino Co. There's very little in the way of destinations but the countryside is gorgeous. I saw a herd of about 75 elk grazing in a field off the highway. Speaking of highways, I spent all but 8 miles on 101. I've found that a Hwy has its benefits and drawbacks. On one hand, the shoulder is almost always wide and most cars move to the extra lane to give you space. On the other, cars are traveling 60-70 mph pretty close and it can be noisy and definitely filthy.

I ended Day 3 at Standish-Hickey State Park, which was closed except for hiker/bikers, meaning I was the only one there! I changed quickly and ran across the hwy to the Peg Hole store and pub. Granted I was famished (almost dangerously so) but they had the best BBQ oysters I've ever had. Add a chicken club and an oatmeal stout and I was sated. I came back to camp and found another couple had arrived, Dave and Lisa. They're touring from Vancouver to SF. We shared wine, chocolate, and cherries I got on the way up and exchanged tips and advice, then called it a night.

Day 4: Met Jeff and April at the campsite that morning and again at Confusion Hill, a funky little tourist trap. We each spent a worthwhile $5 to check out the areas where magnetism and gravity supposedly get confused, much like the Santa Cruz Mystery Spot. Talked with the owner Doug for a bit and continued down a stretch of old, closed highway that was beginning to be torn out by Caltrans. Worker explained the slide problems and how the new bridge was just recently built and has a height above the water greater than the Golden Gate!

Highlight of the day was when I stopped at Richardson Grove SP for lunch. I had no idea CDF used inmates to cut fire lines but they do up here. Chatted for a bit with the fireman and a prisoner about my trip and their work. As I hopped on the bike the prisoner turned to the fireman and said, "That dude's on a badass journey!"

Finished the day along part of the Avenue of the Giants and camped at Burlington Campground. Aside from the local pickups driving way too fast on that road, the scenery was epic. So many redwoods and dense forest. I'll post pics but they really won't do it justice.

I met Nicole at camp who is riding from Arcata to the Bay Area for chemotherapy. She just recently had a mastectomy and wanted to arrive strong for chemo. I found out later she has a blog: Kicking My Cancer

Ready to explore the redwoods a bit more tomorrow!






No comments:

Post a Comment