Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 82: Waffle Bacon, Lounging, Friends

One of the things I dearly miss about home is having brunch with friends on the weekend. San Francisco does brunch really well and I was definitely ready for the experience again so I bummed around until Starving Artist opened and rode over. Nat took me here a couple years ago so I knew it was good and I was definitely hungry. I got a latte, Sammy Benny (eggs Benedict on mini waffles with salmon), and a Waffle Bacon (yes, it's waffles with bacon cooked into the middle). I enjoyed the patio and my food and decided to make it a relaxing day so I cruised down to Kensington Market. This is a funky neighborhood with lots of outdoor booths selling all kinds of food and goods. It would be a great day to just wander around and pick up a few things there, but being on the bike with all my gear (I'm changing sleeping quarters tonight so I have all my stuff), and not wanting to pack my bags with heavy souvenirs kind of killed my shopping spirit. Just as I was about to leave Dee stopped me and asked about my stuff. This is the positive to cruising around a city with panniers, it invites a lot of conversation. Dee is planning a multi-week tour through Cuba in the fall and riddled me with all sorts of questions about bikes, gear, costs, you name it. I was more than happy to share my experiences and recommendations since I could see her excitement for touring just gushing out of her and we had a fun time chatting.
Yesterday Nat had reminded me of the old photo booth at Steamwhistle which I missed so after Kensington I dropped in for a free sample and took photos, then headed over to the Distillery District. This area is a fantastic little neighborhood of shops in an old distillery that is made of brick. I wandered around a bit and happened to find a sake brewery! They have been there a year and a half and brew their own sake using just rice, water, and yeast. I was stunned at the different flavors they achieved and it was certainly the best sake I've ever had. My next stop was at Mill St Brewing for a flight and a mussel appetizer which were accompanied by some good Olympics on TV.
After hanging out a bit longer I decided to do my grocery shopping for the road tomorrow. While in the grocery store I became too hungry to wait, and seeing an opportunity to save a few bucks, cobbled together a dinner of iced tea, green beans, bell pepper, whole grain baguette with goat cheese, olive bar mix, and a dark chocolate bar for dessert. I took these items to a grassy spot on the waterfront of Lake Ontario, pulled out my Kindle, and began to snack. I stayed there for over two hours, munching and reading The Call of the Wild. When I got my Kindle (thanks Steph!) I checked out the free books and there were all sorts of classics I'd never read so I've been making my way through several of them. This book is fantastic and gets the blood pumping with excitement for more adventure, just what I need for the last leg of this trip. As I lay there I realized that this is one of the things I will really miss when the trip is over. I've been able to take most days at my own pace and it's been truly wonderful. Some days I push myself but even then I have time to relax, and the slower pace of life when it's just eating, sleeping, and living will be something I never forget.
But of course I couldn't just lay there all night so eventually I packed up and rode to the Victory Cafe to meet a couple of my sister's friends who I had met last time in TO. I had drinks with Alia, Jesse, and Dan and we had a good time catching up and chatting. When we'd had our fill Dan and I rode back to his place and watched a little South Park before I made myself comfortable on his couch. This has been yet another case where I've been lucky enough to either know or have a connection to somebody awesome who is more than happy to let a travelling bum use the couch. Thanks Dan, see you in CA soon!

1 comment:

  1. was cool havin ya here man! anytime.

    also: you're an amazing blog-ist, this thing is literally enthralling hahahaha. be safe man and yes, california... soon.

    ReplyDelete