Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 92: FINITO! (kind of)

Just a quick couple things:
Although I'm now finished, stay tuned for another day or so since I'm putting together a summary by numbers post of the entire trip.
Also, even though the biking is done I still have to get back to the Bay Area. I'll be hanging out in Boston until 8/15, then going to NYC with Steph and will be there until 8/20. Then I'll bus or train to Philly to meet mi amigo Ariel and the plan is for me to buy a cheap car. Ariel and I will then travel down the East Coast and down to New Orleans where he'll fly back and I'll continue back solo through the Southwest. I haven't decided how to document this but I'll keep the blog updated ever couple days or so with the adventures of the drive back.

Now to the finale of the biking trip:

Steph arrived around 8:30 in the morning and was completely surprised to see me. I caught her up on my scheming and what had actually happened over the past couple days and we had some food and relaxed. Since she took the red eye to get out here I let her nap for a bit while I caught up on some things and then we planned the day and figured out where I should go. I pulled on the jorts and rode the final 11 miles of this trip to the beach next to the University of Mass, Boston. I left the panniers off the bike for this final lap and it was amazing the speed I could make without all the weight.

Once at the beach I'll admit it was a little anti-climatic, especially after watching some Olympic glory recently. There was no great fanfare, no crowd of cheering onlookers, not even a big final push for the day. Without the panniers I looked like a regular bike rider out for a day's ride and didn't attract any conversation. It was just Steph and myself walking out to the water, but that was perfectly fine. I dipped my front tire, poured out the small bottle of Pacific Ocean water I had carried 5,432 miles since leaving, and we sat down on the sand. I shed several tears as we hugged and then shared a bottle of Korbel Champagne that Steph brought. Some people might have been let down by the seemingly lackluster finish, but it was great. This trip started with a small gathering at Goat Rock State Beach and then ended with a smaller gathering on the beach near Joe Moakley Park. But what really mattered was the all the miles, adventures, and challenges that occurred between these two oceans. It was a trip about the journey not the destination, and what a journey it was!

We left the beach and I ride to International Bicycle Center where Babe is now resting until Thursday when he'll be boxed up and shipped home!

One this is for sure, this trip has reinforced a sense of adventure in me and I'm excited for future tours, definitely some kayak/canoe camping, and exploring new places. Most of the time going forward I'll do this trips with friends to have that companionship and the fun that it brings. But I'm glad that this trip was mostly solo. Sure there were lonely times but I found that a single person tends to be more approachable by strangers than two or more. There is a sense of vulnerability in the solo adventurer that invites the charity of others which has been a fantastic element to this journey.

Throughout the entire trip some of the best memories I have are of the great people I met. Many helped me, some were simply very kind, and nearly all were supportive. However one thing I did come to notice which had been hidden from me before this trip is how many people are moving through their days in a blind haze which I came realize about half way through. It was easy to distinguish these people since I would be standing right next to them with a bike loaded down with God knows what, and not even a hint of recognition from their eyes as to the adventure that might be occurring right next to them. And I don't expect every single person to see me and start an enthusiastic conversation, I myself saw people who were obviously on an epic journey and elected to stay in my chair either for my own reasons or because they were clearly occupied with something else. But it became clear to me that so many people are moving through one errand or chore after another with their blinders on, like a plow horse doing its thing the going back to the stable.

In my riding I had to become more observant so I didn't miss street signs, get hit by cars, etc, and I think it helped see that in others as well. If you are awake to the liveliness around you and you interact with it as some people did with me I can guarantee it will make an impact on you, almost always positive. Each person who said hi or honked or gave me a beer or some charity made my travels that much better. As Michigan Dave said to me my first morning in NY, "My life is better for having met you." I believe this is one of the best compliments a person can receive as it shows you made a positive mark on someone else, and to all the people along the way who have shown me so much kindness, I am unequivocally better for having met you all. Also an enormous thanks to my family and friends who have helped and supported me along the way, beers on me when I return!



No comments:

Post a Comment