Sunday, August 12, 2012

Smangin' Stats

Now that the trip has come to an end I thought it would be interesting to sum it up with some stats. Some of these are conservative guesses, others are right on the money.

RIDING
92 total days
5432.0 total miles
109.44 miles: longest single day in mileage
7:33 longest day of riding in time
488.24 miles: longest 5 day stretch (Oacoma to Decorah)
14.1 mph: moving average over the whole trip
18.6 mph: fastest days average (Day 46)
49.9 mph: fastest speed (unless you count the computer glitch that showed me 65 one day)
190,000+ feet: total elevation gain
18 stationary days (5 consecutive was the longest stretch in Missoula)
73 average miles per day of actual riding, not including city exploring
17 days of consecutive riding without a full days rest (Missoula to Pierre)

WHAT I RODE THROUGH
2 countries
17 states/provinces
9 capitals
14 national parks/forests
30 state parks
45+ local parks
33+ significant bike trails
2 interstate highways (I-5 and I-90)
5 days of 100°+ temperatures

WHAT I DRANK
44 breweries/brewpubs visited
2 wineries visited
1 sake brewery visited
28 beer flights

ME
440,000 estimated calories burned while riding (from healthstatus.com calculator for ~240 lbs, 14.1 mph, 23,000 minutes riding)
8 lbs lost over entire trip (most dramatic measured was 6 lbs lost in first 10 days)
< 2 inches of beard growth
0 cases of foot fungus or other maladies (I was concerned since I haven't worn sandals in the showers the whole trip)

WHERE I STAYED
54 nights of legit camping, including 3 nights of stealth camping
7 hotels
29 nights with friends/family/friends of friends
1 night with a former stranger (you da man Raul!)

BIKE (what I replaced/fixed)
3 wheels
2 multitools
7 spokes
1 set of handlebar tape
13 flats
2 chains
4 sets of brake pads (2 front, 2 rear)
1 front rack

MISC
Over $750 dollars raised for charity
2 clogged toilets (think about the piles of food I ate, this is a pretty low number)
2 riders that accompanied me for a significant time (10 days total)
5 ferry rides
24 consecutive days of riding without a flat
4 consecutive days without a real shower
103 blog posts (including this one)
1 bee stuck between my cheek and helmet strap (got it out before being stung)
2 times I showered without bringing my towel (using a sock isn't so great)
1 bird pooping on me
1 time peeing on myself while trying to get some quick, desperate relief on a trail while still straddling the bike
13 lbs shed from gear over entire trip (67 down to 54)
2 times falling, both when coming to a stop and not clipping out soon enough
1 run-in with the law

No comments:

Post a Comment