Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 88: Last Canal Day

Waking up at the lock was the first foggy morning I've had in a long time and it was a beautiful sight from in the tent with the mist lolling about on the water. I took my time and eventually the sun came out which allowed me to stretch out the tent and footprint to dry before packing them up. I got back on the trail and headed for Albany. I was pretty zoned out most of the ride, just enjoying the scenery on what was now mostly paved trail as I neared bigger cities. Eventually I hit Schenectady and left the trail for State St, then zoned out on that routs as well since I didn't have any turns for 10-15 miles and it took my right to Albany's Capitol Square. I did notice, however, the drivers becoming less patient and I had to watch my mirror a little more.
Once in the Square I did some mapping and enjoyed the respectful tranquility that comes with most capital areas, except for when a bird poops on your arm. Thankfully I have my trusty Smangin' USA handkerchief! I took some pics and saw The Egg which is a performance hall, then also noticed a fellow tourer.
Romano and I started talking and I found out he's on a 7 month self supported tour to reach all 50 capitals plus DC by human powered means and will be the first ever to do so. He started in Juneau on April 25th, I ran into him here in Albany onthe capital #20, and he expects to reach his final mainland capital, Phoenix, around Thanksgiving. And how will he get to Honolulu? By rowing a solo craft from Monterrey, CA to Hawaii next June! This man's journey is incredible and I wanted to hear more but we both had to start figuring out camping spots. I rode up to Waterford along the Hudson River to the beginning of the canal system. Here a visitor center volunteer pointed me to a patch of grass when I asked about the free camping advertised on the website. They also had free public showers at the facility, which were fairly clean and guaranteed that there must not be any homeless people here since free public showers would never work in a city like SF. And in fact a maintenance guy informed me that they "had a couple guys" a few years ago but they left. I guess there's no interest by the vagabonds in this village which is the oldest incorporated village in the U.S.
I made use of the visitor center's balcony to cook on, listen to music, charge gadgets, and enjoy sunset over the canal. With the past couple of days I have to say the Canal Trail is my favorite of the trip. The Trail of the Coeur D'Alene was better maintained and more beautiful, and Mickelson was more beautiful, but this trail is nearly four time longer than either, has several locks with free camping, and even skirts along some major cities, allowing me to detour a few blocks and get a beer or groceries and then keep going. The trail still needs to be completed since it jogs on and off roads once in awhile but being able to take it across the entirety of upstate NY is pretty phenomenal. I'll be sad to leave it tomorrow, especially since it means I'll have to ride the hills which the canal has allowed me to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment