Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 84: Nice People in Upstate NY

As I was making breakfast I started chatting with the camper next to me and resumed our conversation from the night before. Dave is on a motorcycle and taking a five day trip through the Midwest so we shared stories of the road and such. He was a great start to the day and I'm hoping he takes me up on my tour guide offer when he bikes out to the west coast next year. I also talked with the family on the other side after the dad, Clint, came over. Every time little kids here about my trip they're always excited and I can't get over how great it makes me feel. Once on the road I headed to Buffalo along the Niagara River waterfront trail. I stumbled across Pearl Street Brewing and stopped in for lunch where I had a good hoagie and a tasty flight. Next I continued out through the suburbs which were pretty run down and so I just pushed along. At one point I needed a break and stopped at a fruit stand. They didn't sell individuals but the lady gave me a slightly bruised peach and I enjoyed the snack. Just a little while down the road I stopped for a rest since it was humid and in the mid '90s, and a woman came out with a few bottles of water which I thankfully devoured. It always amazes me how nice and generous so many people are, especially if they see they can help out.
I finally arrived at my campground in Leroy, which I found out is the birthplace of Jello! I made camp, cooked a splendid meal of couscous and chicken, and had a leisurely night.

No comments:

Post a Comment