Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 80: Pre-TO Steak and Beers

I had snacked and packed and was replacing my brake pads when Phil came by with a coffee. I thanked him and he strongly suggested I come over for a pre ride meal of good beers and some steak before I took off. I normally don't eat red meat but I couldn't say no to a free meal, especially one that will satisfy the belly as much as this would. I joined him and Emily as he readied the coals and started grilling them over the open fire. Emily played around and showed me her coloring skills while Phil and I shared a beer he had bought 3 years ago and had been aging. I almost felt guilty that he was drinking such a special beer with a near stranger but he was too nice about it and I couldn't refuse. The beers and steak were fantastic and we sat there talking about everything from biking to the local history to Canada's ongoing conflict with the natives. With Phil having native blood himself it was interesting to get his views on the history and such and I thoroughly enjoyed the company, conversation, and hospitality that he and Emily showed.
Unfortunately I had to leave at some point and noon was about the right time. I stopped at McDonald's to refresh my maps with the Wi-Fi and soon I was on the Hamilton to Brantford Rail Trail, headed for Toronto. This trail was about 26 km (yes I've started improving my metric fluency since being here) and was glorious. The path was mostly hard packed dirt and the wooded scenery along most of it was as beautiful as most I've seen on this trip. I would rank this trail third best in my travels so far, behind the Trail of the Coeur D'Alene and then Mickelson. I was happy riding along it until I got to the passing over a river that empties to Lake Ontario. Here I was informed I would have some stairs coming up, and wow did I. I've included a picture of the stairs but they climb another 3 flights out of view. Luckily they had a groove on the side that I could roll the bike in but it was still pushing the bike up a completely unnecessary incline.
Once past the stairs I made my way along the Waterfront Trail which is also the Trans-Canadian Trail in this area. The trail was really just a route, sometimes along a path but mostly on the road and I found myself taking Lakeshore Dr nearly the whole way into TO. At one stoplight I rolled up and planned on putting the right foot down, but just slightly leaned left, and then couldn't get my left foot out of the clip in time. It was similar to a large tree being felled. With so much weight on the bike it was a slow start but then I and the bike came down with a crash. A nice guy got out of his car next to me to see if I was okay and yes, everything was fine except my ego. It was the first time since Day 4 that I've fallen and it was embarrassing and my wrist was a little sore after. Other than that and a cracked plastic mirror in my toiletry bag everything was fine, fall being partially broken by the panniers. I kept moving and eventually got to Alex's apartment in the Annex district. Alex is the brother of my sister's great friend and he volunteered his couch on short notice so I'm very appreciative. I cleaned up and we went out to Caplansky's for their signature Smoked Meats sandwich which was quite tasty. We got beers and chatted on the ride back before settling for the night. I'm excited for the variety and culture of Toronto, a welcome change from much of the Midwest. I was here for a week two years ago and I'm looking forward to a couple familiar stops as well as some fresh sights in the next couple days.

1 comment:

  1. Timber!

    Sorry you fell! It happens to the best of us ;)

    Emily looks like a cutie!

    ReplyDelete