Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 60: Century to the Roller Coaster

I got up around 6:30, made breakfast, and broke camp fairly quickly, leaving at 8:15. Thomas and I said goodbye and wished each other luck on the rest our our respective trips. I made my way out of Sioux Falls and towards the state line where I saw a marker pointing the way to a tri-state marker. I figured great, I can get two state signs in one shot, but after riding until the road curved into Iowa, never found the sign. Not wanting to miss Minnesota I headed north a couple miles and made my way to Hills, MN and eventually down US 75 where I got my two signs.

I kept a constant push over most of the day, stopping when I needed to for food and water but essentially pushing forward the whole day. I think my riding with Thomas has helped me keep a constant pace since I never wanted to delay him while riding. Another thing that definitely helped was thinking of riding the roller coaster at Arnolds Park. Half the reason for this change of route was to be able to enjoy the lake and park so I wanted to get there with enough daylight. My last put stop was at Vick's Corner store for a Gatorade and a can of beer to go with my snacks. Vick's was a cool little store, looking like it hasn't been renovated since the '50s and just getting by with what it has.

I finally made it to my stop for the night in West Okoboji around 5:15, an hour earlier than I expected when starting, having ridden 103 miles. I stayed with a friend of my dad's, Suzie, and her husband Herb at their house on Lake Okoboji. I had visited the lake during a family reunion in high school and was looking forward to splashing in those waters again. I chatted with Herb and Suzie for a bit then dove off their dock. The water was just as I remembered, shockingly warm. Perhaps it's normal for this area but I'm used to cold west coast lakes so this was a joy. I swam for a little bit then showered and hopped back on the bike. On Suzie's recommendation I ate at the Taco House which was around when her and my dad were kids at the lake. I got the fajita dinner which is a great deal for only $6.

Although most people wouldn't eat a full fajita dinner then jump right on a roller coaster, I didn't hesitate at all. The coaster cost $7 per ride unless you have a pass so I tried it once. After taking a couple pics on the ride and it being AWESOME I decided it was worth another $7. The second ride was even better, hands in the air while it dipped and turned at sunset, the seatbelt keeping me secure the few times I was lifted out of my seat. The wooden roller coaster was originally built in 1927 and was renovated in the mid '90s. It's one of only a handful of pre-Depression roller coasters in the world and is a ton of fun so I was glad I got in a couple rides before it closed for the night.

The coaster was finished off with some frozen yogurt, a Nutty Bar at the Nutty Bar Cafe, and a beer at the bar on the pier. After the ride back I clocked over 108 miles on the bike today. Suzie and Herb let me use the extra bedroom and I'm looking forward to a bed again and the lake in the morning. It's funny how you can have such a fondness for an area through a family connection. I've only been here once before but my dad and his family used to come here all the time, and actually rented the cottage that's still standing next to Suzie and Herb's, seen in the pic of Suzie and me. I've heard such great stories about vacation on "Boji" so it's a lot of fun to visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment