Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 66: Leaving Madison, Lakeside Camping

I was quick about packing up since I wasn't fixing breakfast. I rode back into town to the Johnson Public House cafe which was highly recommended on Yelp. The coffee was some of the best I've ever had, and I enjoyed the breakfast sandwich and fruit-granola-yogurt while I did some blogging. Then came the moment I've been looking forward to for quite some time: Trader Joe's! All along the west coast it was my go to for delicious trail mix, oatmeal, and dried fruit as well as affordable chocolate and unique treats, but the last time I was able to shop in a TJs was west of the Cascades in Edmonds.



I had looked it up and Madison, being the largest city I've been in since Billings, and probably the most progressive since Missoula, was home to a branch. I shopped around and it was extremely difficult to restrict myself to just some dried fruit and candy since I'm already well supplied with everything else.
I finally left and enjoyed a flight, wrap, and salad at Great Dane Brewing, where it was the first time I had to moderate the number of tasters since they had 17 beers on tap. I settled for eight, filled up my belly and water bottles, and then attempted to fix the clicking I've been having as I pedal. I'm afraid it might be the bottom bracket going bad but was hoping it was just a crank arm being a little loose. I took out the multitool I've had since college, inserted the #8 Allen wrench, and stepped down on it. I've done this before but this was the last, as the plastic gave way and the tool shattered in two. Thankfully I was a few blocks from a bike shop where they told me most likely it's the bottom bracket and I was also able to get a new tool, this one with a corkscrew!


Next it was time to do some riding so after a few miles and turns I got on the Glacial Drumlin Trail. It's crushed limestone as well but in better condition than Military Ridge. I cruised along for quite awhile before coming out onto Rock Lake where I stopped for a snack and to dip my feet in. The rest of the trail was uneventful but beautiful, and I was soon turning off for a six mile jaunt down to Ottawa Lake State Park. I got a site near the lake and found I had my own water access trail, so after setting up the tent I walked down with the Modelo tallboy I had picked up on the way and sat in the warm water, jersey and all.


Overall it was a great day and I was happy it could end like this with some relaxing and not pushing into darkness as I've done before. This will most likely be my last night of camping for nearly a week since I have places to stay in Milwaukee and Chicago so I enjoyed sleeping under the stars with the fly off.

P.S. I've found a workaround for the technical issues but it's time consuming and fickle so hopefully I can get it to work every time!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for TJ's! Did you stock up on that trail mix with all the berries?

    It must have felt so nice at the end of your day to dip in the water. Looks like it was a great spot to watch the sunset!

    Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly I still had a bunch of trail mix so I couldn't get more, so sad! Miss you too!!

      Delete
  2. Nice! Keep up the good work...

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete