Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 61: Leave the Lake, Bum a Site

After waking up and eating a couple helpings of the breakfast that Suzie forced on me in the great way that only a mother can do, I looked out at the lake and couldn't resist. Changing back into yesterday's bike shorts I dove off the dock and swam around a bit. It was so nice, I could really get used to this but I tried my hardest to pack up, feeling the need to keep moving. Suzie sent me off with a PB&J bagel, some nuts, and an orange for later. I rode into Milford for some groceries and stove fuel but struck out on the latter, not wanting to buy a gallon when I just need 20 ounces. I had forgotten about a couple souvenirs so I backtracked up to Arnolds Park, then back down to Milford, adding a few miles to the day. Looking at the map the only campground I could find was in Forest City, just over 80 miles away. I had wanted to take it easy today after yesterday's long ride so after leaving town around 12:30 I decided to take it easy. If I make it to camp, great. If not, I'll find some nice person and ask if I can camp in their yard.

Looking at a map it seems very easy to navigate the streets in Iowa, they're almost all in a grid. But actually riding them I found that one paved road would eventually turn to gravel and I'd take a left or right to stay on the pavement. Eventually I figured out that the county roads, designated with a letter and number, ie A34, are all paved but do zig zag a little. After this realization it was much easier to navigate my way on pavement. I rode and rode, much of it very uneventful farm land. Today and yesterday I have started seeing dozens of giant wind mills sprinkled throughout the landscape. Some may think they're an eyesore, to me they have an elegant beauty and are a symbol of progress and a welcome sign of healthier forms of energy. The whole day I had a slight headwind, same as yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder where the notion of easterly blowing winds comes from since I've seen very little of them.

I stopped at Wolden County Park on High Lake and had my snacks. It was a beautiful park and campground and I've found that Iowa has a number of these smaller lakes and parks scattered about which make for great camping and rest stops. I finally made it to 3 Fingers Campground and when the office was closed and I called the posted number, I was told they don't do tent sites anymore. Momentarily disappointed I explained that I was on a bicycle so the proprietor came down and let me camp on the grass next to the office, she herself being a former tourer. The site is fine but the bathrooms are pretty bad, not really needing to upgrade them for RVers. The water smells of sulfur so my clothes might stink a bit next time I put them on after today's rinse. I'll have to share this with Fred so he doesn't eat more match heads, just find a sulfur shower!

With such long rides I have a lot of time to think, and most of it today was focused on fixing a delicious dinner. Not wanting to shortchange myself I unloaded the gear and rode a few miles into town. Inspired by the meal I made with Thomas and his shopping habits, I bought some tomatoes, an ear of corn, and a Bud Light Lime-a-Rita with a yogurt and banana bar for dessert. I also got some fruit for the morning. I came back and once settled looked at the odometer. 101.9 miles for the day, another century! For dinner I was able to use the office grill to boil my water, saving my precious fuel and some time. My Fetucini Alfredo with chicken backpacking meal, now supplemented with fresh veggies, was delicious and I enjoyed the beautiful sunset and headed to bed.

Right before falling asleep I checked email and found one from Thomas. He had cable and flat problems coming out of Sioux Falls, ran into Fred again who had similar problems, and ended up staying in Worthington and then Arnolds Park! He asked where I was camping tonight since he's now a day behind me so I told him and wished him luck and to enjoy the park if he can. Hopefully he gets back on track with no more breakdowns.




1 comment:

  1. That's a gorgeous shot of the sunset! I like the wind turbine silhouetted in the background. How was the Bud Light Lime-a-Rita?

    ReplyDelete