Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 74: Humdrum Day Through Lansing

The morning in Ionia was pretty typical, I enjoyed some mango and berries with my oatmeal and started towards Lansing. I had tried to contact YoungSeob, the Korean man and his family that I met in Spearfish since they live in the capital. They were supposed to arrive in Lansing that morning so when I got there later in the day I gave him a call but couldn't connect. After yesterday's late night I was a little tired all day and kind of dragging, and I was a little concerned about daylight I had left so I didn't push the effort too much.

I had some quick food and a flight at Michigan Brewing Co which was fine. They had a some interesting sounding beers like a Blueberry IPA and Key Lime Wheat so I gave them a taste but was disappointed in the lack of flavor. Sometimes breweries do a great job of trying new things, and sometimes they don't taste any different than the other beers they have. I was starting to feel the late night when I left, and it wasn't great highway riding so it was even more frustrating when I heard a spoke pop in Howell. I continued on figuring I could get it fixed tomorrow in Ann Arbor.

After grocery shopping and getting a good campsite at Bishop Lakes State Recreation Area I set about preparing the best meal I've had camping this whole trip: fresh carrots, sliced tomatoes with crumbled goat cheese, chicken pesto pasta, a 500 mL box of Cabernet Sauvignon, and a bar of dark chocolate. It was a routine 85 mile day that gave me a little chafing so I was glad to finish on a high note and get some sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Boxed wine, classy! That snake looks menacing and would definitely have made me freak out if I were closed up in the port-o-potty with it. Glad it didn't lunge at you! Also, how did Lansing compare to Pierre? A lot bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lansing was definitely larger than Pierre, but still not a big city. It does have some good bike trails around the river and a fun Old Town district but I thought Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor were better. Hopefully no more snakes!!

      Delete