Monday, July 2, 2012

Health Check: Mind, Body, and Bike, Halfway Through

Since I left May 12th and I'm now planning on being in Boston on Aug 11th, the trip will be a total of 92 days. This means that as of my 46th day, 6/26, I'm over halfway through this trip in terms of time. Therefore I figure it would be a good time again to share some general info and observations.
MIND
We'll start with this again since if the mind goes, pretty much everything else flies off the cliff like a buffalo stampede. I've had a few more rough days than the last checkup. Some of these have had to do with flats and breakdowns, others have had to do with making certain I get to a place in time. The general novelty of bike touring has worn off a bit so I no longer have a given high. Some days are fantastic and I meet great people, explore new areas, and see more of this great and fascinating country. Other days, though less common, I strap on workboots and get to riding, sometimes not encountering many people or interesting scenery. But I'm still just as excited to camp and every time somebody loves my story it refreshes me. I've been mostly fine riding through the past week of intense heat as well. I've ridden during triple digit temperatures at least four days now and I've been thorough in my preparations which have kept me healthy. There was only one time, coming into Gillette on a 102° day where I swear a pond I was passing was not level. It could have been a mud slick on a slant, or my slight uphill ride could have played tricks on me, but I was pretty sure it was a slanted pond.
BODY
Overall my body is stronger than perhaps it's ever been. My legs can carry the load and I've begun to look at a 70 mile ride as just being half the day not a long one. I've been slathering on the sunscreen recently due to the summer sun and aside from a few small areas I've been tanning not burning. The only area I'm not great in is the derrière. After my back to back century rides I have saddles sores. They're a bit like a light rug burn but they're uncomfortable enough when riding on them that I need to ease up, get out of the saddle more, and care for them so they don't get worse. I also need a haircut soon since my head could stand to be a little cooler on these hot days.
BIKE
As some of you have probably read, I had to replace the wheels in Missoula when it was found that they were disc brake only wheels. I got replacements from REI and managed to sell the old ones to a Missoulan over the weekend so I'm pretty happy about how it worked out considering how frustrating it could have been. The tune up went great and overall Babe is running very smoothly. I had a terrible stretch of flats through WA and MT but I've been able to avoid major highways recently and the debris that their shoulders work into my tires. I've even come to enjoy a hard bump (somewhat masochistically) when the tires hit a dip because it lets me know that they're still fully inflated. The only other problem has been the front rack. I bought it since it seemed capable but still not a massive $150 rack that would be better quality. I found in Missoula that the weight of the front panniers has actually bent the load bearing rods but I was able to straighten them out almost all the way and I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I'm carrying a little less weight in the front now so it should be okay.
GEAR
For the last 3+ weeks my sleeping pad has been losing most of its air throughout the night. It has some foam so it's still acceptable, and a dunk in my uncles hot tub showed no obvious leaks, but it's just a bit frustrating.
Also the sack that the pad comes in has been tearing for the past several weeks. I have a simple sewing kit (thanks Mom!) but the last thing I've wanted to do is stitch when I get to camp so it remains frayed.
I ran out of Dr. Bronner's soap and Cabela's doesn't carry it so I tried Sea to Summit's Wilderness Wash and it sucks. It doesn't lather well and I've had to use too much to shower so Steph brought more Bron's with her.
GENERAL OBSERVATIONS
MT has seemed so far to be the friendliest state. Just about everyone has given me space and many have honked on the freeway when I'm riding, even going the other direction.
I've explored some small towns less now that I've seen that most are very similar except the people. Unless I'm going to sit down to eat or drink and strike up a conversation, there's little difference between the brick-laden main street of one town to the next. But if I do happen to sit and chat, it usually ends up in great conversation.
My coffee habit has all but vanished. Along the west coast I couldn't use my solar charger as much during poor weather so I started stopping at cafes to recharge and warm up with a cup. But much of WA, MT, and WY have espresso drive-thrus and less sit down cafes. It's also been clear enough to use my charger so I haven't had the excuse as much. And who wants a hot cup of coffee when is 100° out? Instead I've developed a habit of getting sports drinks at gas stations. It gets me off the bike during a hot day, replenishes my electrolytes, and provides me a cold drink instead of my warm water, which has tasted pretty bad throughout southeast MT and WY.
Since WY I've come to remember that some places still allow smoking in motels and restaurants. So far I've been able to avoid it but I'll have to keep that in mind when I request a room or table.
Riding east has its advantages since I tend to ride into dusk and the sun is setting behind me so I have great visibility and cars aren't blinded as they approach me. It's a bit comforting after a long day.
Since joining major highways like 2 and I-90 I've seen, every day, multiple bottles of soda, Gatorade, and iced tea that have a pale yellow color. Come on people, it's gross enough that you're peeing in a bottle but do you have to toss it out the window? Groups like the girl scouts sponsor litter clean-up and they have to pick up your half-gallon "iced tea". Furthermore, if you have issues that make it look like raspberry iced tea, you should see a doctor instead of driving long distances.
There were a few days through Idaho and Montana where I tried the salami and cheese diet, and let's just say it made me stand up out of the saddle more than usual. If you don't know what I mean, I had the farts, plain and simple.
For the past couple weeks my cat Jimi, who is being cared for by my sis Nat and roomie Gwen, has been spraying on the couch like crazy. He's had issues in the past but seemingly not as bad as now. I talked to them both for several days in a row and we ultimately decided to send him to surgery for what is basically bladder stones. I can't thank them enough for taking him to the vet and helping me with research and a decision. Although it cost a bit I couldn't let my little dude suffer and risk any blockages so he was taken care of at Soquel Animal Hospital by Nat's longtime friend Madeleine.
I've been a little bummed hearing about friends having fun weekends together back home and I miss them incredibly. I miss seeing family, going hiking and camping with friends, and having a night out on the city or a great brunch with Bloody Mary's. I have also missed seeing my amazing girlfriend frequently. We talk often but it's obviously not the same and I'll be excited to spend time together when I return. But I do know that there will be future great times with everyone and what I'm doing now will only happen this one time in my life so I have the obligation to myself to immerse myself in it and enjoy every moment.
I'm extremely excited to share this experience with Steph and I think it will renew my wonder as well, which usually happens when seeing something through the eyes of the newbie. I'm also excited to see the rest of the country. Of all the areas I have ahead of me, Toronto is the only place I've been before so the second half will be almost entirely new. I'm looking forward to the storied Midwest hospitality and warm summer nights, as well as continuing this great adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment