Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 78: Long Rural Ride

I woke up early, not knowing if there would be any apple pickers y upset with me, and was headed to Wallaceburg by 7 am. I had breakfast at Tim Horton's, the Canadian coffee chain, and used the WiFi. I also made use of the bathroom and washed my riding clothes from yesterday, hanging them to dry on the panniers. After some small talk with a few folks I was riding down through endless rural countryside. There were a lot of corn and soy fields and a few tiny communities where my highway intersected another main road. I eventually headed southeast and ended up and Rondeau State Park where I charged my phone, had lunch, and enjoyed the views of Lake Erie. I got back on the road and headed toward Port Stanley though I was skeptical I could make it. A snack break at the Tall Tale Cafe let me regroup and do some thinking. I figured I would push for Port Stanley but keep and eye out for stealth spots on the way.
Sure enough I happened on the Fingal Wildlife Conservation Area which is a beautiful maze of trails that cut through what used to be an old air force base. All that remain are pretty much concrete slabs in some spots and I rode through the entire reserve. Unfortunately I made the mistake of riding down a walking path and had a rough time with massive roots. To make it worse there was no breeze in these forested foot paths and the mosquitoes and flies were out early and had one mighty feast on my behalf. I struggled out into the open and rode an extra mile to the nearest intersection.
Just then it started to pour and I got lucky seeing a sign for a community baseball park. I took shelter in the concession stand awning and used the runoff to wet a towel and wipe myself down. I found the men's bathroom to be unlocked and finished my cleaning in the sink.
Once back at the Conservation Area I set up my tent on the concrete slabs of the old firehouse. Since I'm not damaging any plants and I donated $5 at the entrance box I'm hoping that these two things will keep me out of serious trouble if someone finds me and complains. My tent wasn't visible from the road or main trails but anyone walking down this particular trail will walk right past my highly visible tent, which is exactly what happened when a couple at sundown came by. I was already inside and prepping for dinner when I heard them coming. Their conversation paused but I could see them keep walking so I'm crossing my fingers they see the bike too and realize I just needed a place for the night and don't call any authorities. At this point it would be pretty rough to have to pack up and add to the 98 miles I've already done. It's late now so I should be fine, I just hope nobody hassles me in the morning and I can make a clean getaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment