Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 79: Nice People in Brantford

As I was hurrying through breakfast and packing I heard a dog come sniffing the outside of the tent and the owner promptly but quietly call him back. Remember, I was in a very public place and in plain view of one particular trail so it made me a little nervous to find out that more people use it than I guessed. I made it out of there quick but never had any trouble. After washing clothes at the ballpark I rode down to Port Stanley which was recommended by the couple on the ferry. It was a cute little town and would be a lot of fun to hang out there on the beach. Alas, it was the morning and I had some riding to do so I ate at the cafe and got back on the road. I made a few pit stops in St. Thomas and Tillsonburg to check my map with some free Wi-Fi but kept eating my own snacks and the "dirty-ass" carrots I picked up at the grocery store.
It was a long day of riding but I started to see more scenic countryside starting in Scotland on the new Rail Trail there, including huge tobacco fields and historic kiln houses. This trail led into Brantford and I began looking for a bar where I could ask some people about camping in the area and get a beer. I couldn't figure out why but very little was coming up in searches for a pub or bar so I gave up and got a smoothie. My latest search for a campsite proved fruitful so I rode down to Brant Park where although the fee was a steep $35 it was worth it to not have to worry about run-ins, take a shower, and listen to some music at night.
As I was about to leave the entrance kiosk a woman and her two boys started talking to me about the trip. They were really excited for me and had all sorts of questions for me, including if I had started growing this beard when I started. I explained yes and the reason why and one of them even said it looked good on me! Well it's one of the first times I've been told so and I assured him it would be the last but thanks for the compliment. Another question was how far I rode today so I looked down and saw 99.45 miles! I knew it was a long day but didn't realize that long. Yesterday I rode 98.8 miles and today I would top 100 by the time I got to my site. They weren'y particularly hard days but given my nervousness about stealth camping I was on the road early each day so it gave me quite awhile to knock out the miles. I found my site and started to set up when a man and his 3 year old daughter, Phil and Emily, came by to chat having seen me ride in on the bike. They invited me over so after my dinner I joined them at their campfire for more talk and a slice of cherry pie! It has really great to have such an interactive and encouraging night after the past couple so I'm now a little refreshed and ready for Toronto tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment