Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 26: Starting Off Right

First, an update to yesterdays post that I can't believe I forgot. While entering Canada I had a couple challenges in mind. There was no BC or Canada sign, but there was a HUGE Welcome to Victoria sign in a very public marina. It's up to those challengers whether they want to accept it (Frank and Teri), but I was willing to do it so my vote is that it should count. Sorry Chris, not knowing where the closest embassy was, I didn't want to risk getting caught mooning the public.

After my exhaustive climb last night I let myself sleep in. I also finally tried to use the pancake mix I got awhile ago. I slightly melted my spirit but overall it was a success! Although it didn't look appetizing the mango banana fruit sauce (which was basically baby food) made for a tasty topping as well. To top it off, I got to know the couple in the site next to me and they gave me a cup of coffee! Gary and Laura were really nice, they were taking a motorcycle tour up to Alaska and we had a good time talking about compact gear and upgrades and such.

I knew I would have a solid downhill to start the day so I changed my rear brake pads, which desperately needed it, and hit the road. The ride down was gorgeous and new since I didn't see any of it last night. It was also 5 miles of perfect downhill, the slope and curves being just right so that I didn't hardly have to use my brakes. With all the gear on the bike my terminal velocity tends to be mid-thirties unless it's really steep.

I stopped for lunch at a Thai food restaurant in Sequim, figuring that once I get a little farther east I'll have a harder time finding good Asian food. The cashew chicken and coconut milk soup filled me right up, and I proceeded to leave the Olympic Peninsula. Passing back through Sequim State Park I saw one of the guys who was there several nights ago. Being the guy who didn't warn me about poisoning, we chatted a few minutes and I continued.

This was my first time really backtracking but it wasn't too bad since it looks much different from the opposite direction. My destination was Kitsap State Park where I met fellow tourers John and Dominique who just graduated SF State and are touring from Canada back to SF, their blog is http://pcbiketour.tumblr.com/. We three struggled to find the H/B sites since the campground map didn't label them, and discovered that they were tucked into the forest, accessible by an unmarked path near a utility box. We chatted a bit after dinners and tried, unsuccessfully, to get a fire started using the bundle purchased from the host. Why these bundles never come with kindling I'll never understand. I watched a beautiful sunset over the Olympic Mountains and got to bed early in anticipation of a long day in the Cascades starting tomorrow!




1 comment: