Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 40: Celebrations, MT Generosity

While fixing breakfast I thought about the idea put forth by a Nobel Chemist that we should celebrate our days as well as years. I did the calcs and found out my 10,000th day on this planet was back on March 14th. Since it was a Wednesday I probably didn't do anything to celebrate so I decided today would be my celebration. Turns out it was also the Solstice but I wouldn't realize that until the end of the day.

Starting out I wished hard for a day of no flats and had Steph crossing her fingers for me too. I took the Pintler Memorial Scenic Highway and it was well worth it. The highway was a mix of riding, some shoulder, sometimes very little. The terrain was flat, then rolled, then climbed through the Flint Creek Valley. The next 64 miles of riding would be some of the most beautiful of the whole trip so far.

I stopped in Philipsburg for lunch and met Carla at her roadside caboose deli. The turkey avocado sandwich was delicious, as was the hand-squeezed lemonade she made fresh. And all for $7? It was a great lunch. When I thanked her she brought out another lemonade, and when I said she shouldn't have, she replies very simply, "But I wanted to!" The road climbed quite a bit next until it crested at Georgetown Lake, and what a surprise that was! I had seen it on the map the day before but had no idea it would be a huge, calm, spectacular lake nestled in the top of the mountains! I enjoyed the view and road over my highest elevation for the entire trip at 6430'.

The ride into Anaconda was thankfully downhill and I stopped at Hardware Hanks to pick up their last 26" tire tube. Now I at least had two spares and could ride a little more comfortably. A pit stop at the next Rest Area led to conversation with a family who gave me a cookie for the road.

Next came Butte, and being parched, I headed for beer. A pit stop at The Pit was interesting, such a massive mining operation taking place right next to downtown. Butte was once one of the largest cities in the West and the architecture of the glory days is still present. I had the sampler at Quarry Brewing and chatted with the owner's wife Lyza as well as a patron Debbie. Some popcorn and more conversation required another pint, and when they finally closed at 8 and I asked what my tab was, Debbie picked it up for me! (Don't get the wrong idea Steph, she's 60+ and explained that this is just how people in Butte are) I made my way to the downtown KOA and got quite a meal of fried chicken, Jojos, dinner rolls, and a slice of pie before calling it a night.

I had no flats, rode through stunningly gorgeous Big Sky countryside, and was the recipient of so much generosity. It was truly a day befitting celebration.




No comments:

Post a Comment