Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 39: Leaving Missoula

Nat, Dad, and I woke up and puttered around the house, gradually packing up and making sure to get the right things in my bags and the right things in their bags. Nat restocked me on Emergen-C's and I sent her back with my Brazil jersey, since I got the Big Sky Brewing one, and the bugle horn that no longer wants to make a sound except for that of a wheezing cough. When your sole function is to honk, and you no longer honk, I cease to have room on my bike for you! I also weighed myself after this week of stuffing my face and little exercise. I've pulled my weight back up to 179.6 lbs. It's an improvement over the 176 I was and still two pounds lighter than my Day 1 weight. My bags, now restocked with fuel and food to last me several days through remote Montana, stand at 67 lbs, pretty much the same as when I left. I am looking forward to shedding some rain gear once I get into the Midwest and Steph can take it back with her.

Brad picked us all up and we scored some Rhino shwag before dropping Nat and Dad off at the airport. It was so great that they came up, I always have such a fun time with them and glad we could all spend Father's Day together at the lake. I came back to Brad's, said goodbye, and cruised over to Bernice's Bakery for a coffee, sandwich, and red velvet cupcake with creme brulee inside. Fueled up, I hit the road with a lightweight 55 miles to ride.

Have I mentioned how much I hate flats? If not then I'll reiterate, they test my patience like no other and have been the sole sore spot on this ride so far. I made it 8 miles before getting one on the front tire. I patched it and rode another 3 miles before getting one on the back tire. This one I realized was caused by the Slime Wall inserts that are meant to stop flats! I patched both and continued for a bit before having to replace the front tube. After a total of 30 miles I added a patch to the rear tube since it was slowly leaking again. This brings me down to one spare tube and not a bike store for the next 60 miles so I'm trying to keep the beast rolling on patches. After the fourth stop everything seemed to hold and I was able to ride without incident for the next 25 miles.

Having a peaceful ride through rolling hills, on fresh pavement, and with a slight tailwind was a good reminder of why I decided to go on this trip. It was so peaceful riding on the frontage road to Drummond with gorgeous scenery all around and no cars on the road. I'm hoping for more of these days ahead of me and less flats, it would be such a nice relief. On a positive note, the tune-up worked great and everything is running very smoothly and efficiently on the bike. But I do find myself looking down at the tires every mile or so, I've become so paranoid about flats.

Drummond is a small town and the campground is nice, I should be able to make it into Butte tomorrow, just not sure whether to go the scenic route through Anaconda or not...




No comments:

Post a Comment