Monday, June 18, 2012

Days 36-38: Fam Time in MT

I woke up in the cabin, excited to jump in the water for some skiing, but it was pretty cool all of Saturday. The girls tried some fishing and we toured the lake in the boat but spent time in the hot tub instead of the lake. It's great to just lounge all day and have no agenda. Hot tub, read, chat with family, hot tub, eat, drink, hang with family, on and on and on. When dinner came around we stuffed a can up a chicken, set it on the Weber, and played ping pong for an hour while it cooked away. There were potatoes, barbequed salmon, coleslaw, and of course the chicken. With no dessert, Katie, Nat, and myself drove to the store for brownie ingredients. The magic that followed was an unbelievably delicious chewy chocolate brownie with marbled peanut butter, baked inside a peanut butter-graham cracker crust. Yes, we really did that and yes, it was fantastic.

Father's Day morning we had breakfast, warmed up in the hot tub, and hit the lake. While the water was cold there was no way I wasn't going to ski. Brad had a wetsuit so I pulled it on and jumped in. There was a perfect break in the wind that gave me the smoothest water imaginable and I was in heaven doing a single-ski loop around the lake. Dad tried out the water next and after getting over the cold, showed us how waterskiing is really supposed to be done. He continues to be the best! Katie hopped on the wakeboard next and took some good turns, and then helped me with advice on getting up on the board. It had been several years since the one time I wakeboarded but I was able to get up the second try. I got as comfortable as I could with the bindings being so small (they're meant for Katie and Rachel's feet) and before ending my run tried to jump a little. I landed a little too perpendicular to the wake and the rope jerked on my bad shoulder to straighten me out and I crashed. It's fun though, I'll have to give it a try again.

We left Katie in the cabin (she's going back up to work at Glacier NP the next day) and headed back to Missoula. The morning found Nat, Dad, and I running a few errands. I restocked some food and items at REI, as well as bought the new wheelset. On the way back I managed to sell the old wheels since I had listed them over the weekend on Craigslist! So even though I took loss on the old wheels, I ended up spending only ~$20 for a new wheelset and hopefully things are as good as new! The three of us bike to Kettle House Brewing and then out to Big Sky Brewing Co where I got a flat on the way. I had added some Slime Walls to prevent flats but it seems I might have pinched the tube when installing them on the new wheel.

Uncle Brad met us at Big Sky and we had some tasters, took a quick tour through the brewery with one of his friends who is a brewer there, and I ended up getting a bike jersey for a good deal. As a thanks for the whole weekend, Dad and I treated everyone else to dinner and drinks at Tamarack Brewing where we all stuffed our faces and finished with a large, ice cream covered pizza cookie!

I've had such a good time here, it's been and will be my longest break of the trip. I've been here 6 nights and 5 full days which have been full of food, rest, and great times with family. Tomorrow I'll say goodbye to all of them, Nat and Dad will fly back to CA, and I'll start making my way to Sturgis where the next great segment of the trip will begin with Steph!

No comments:

Post a Comment