Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 31: Idaho Struggles

The day started off innocently enough with a delicious breakfast at Madeleine's Cafe in Spokane on my cousins recommendation. I rode around the town just a little before leaving, and I was most in awe of the Spokane River. With the snow melt and some recent rains that river is pouring and pounding its way through the middle of the city. I was surprised how violently the river courses right downtown, even having a couple small waterfalls. I was able to enjoy the river for a bit while riding the Spokane Centennial Trail which goes from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene. The trail is great in some areas, but just surface streets in others and the whole thing meanders and turns quite a bit, causing me to lose it a couple times and end up crossing the state line along WA-290. But cross into ID I did and I was able to take challenge pictures of both ID and WA since I missed WA on the way into the state. Taking the pics was a little embarrassing since there was construction going on right there and a pile of cars just sat waiting their turn to go while I ran around in jorts trying to pose for my self timer.

Once in CD'A I stopped at a health food store to restock some supplies like dried fruit, jerky, and cheese. I also hadn't eaten anything since breakfast which was a big mistake. I started getting frustrated at little things that wouldn't work right, like a strap not coming off on the first click or a paper bag tearing. To elevate the situation I wanted to ride down to the Lake and eat at the park but I got a flat tire from another industrial staple. So I plopped down on the porch of an abandoned house and ate, annoyed at my situation. In replacing the tube I didn't check the seal of the tire bead and the new tube was sticking out a little. Upon inflating the tube to high pressure the damn thing exploded like a gunshot, blowing out the seam in the tube. I used my last tube, made a quick replacement, and hustled to the nearest bike store before they closed. Three new tubes and a new chain would do just fine, and they recommended going up a side road to Fourth of July Summit instead of the interstate. I filled water and made my way to the side road. They mentioned it was gravel but well used so it shouldn't be an issue. I didn't deflate my tires as I should have, and got a flat on the gravel road. I was worried about daylight, had no idea what hillside I was going to pitch my tent on, and now another flat. As I started to pull the wheel off I began to feel the sting of mosquitoes, a lot of them. Flat tire, hot sun, having eaten too much not-healthy-enough food for lunch, getting greasy when I wouldn't have a bathroom to clean up in at camp, and now getting chewed up by mosquitoes was too much at once. I broke down and sat on the side of the road crying for a couple minutes, until the devil's bloodsuckers were in such a frenzy I had to get up and get moving again. It was the first real meltdown of the trip, I'd say making it a month is pretty good.

I struggled with the road the rest of the time and finally made it up Alder Creek Rd close to the summit just before dark. A junction of several other dirt roads pointed me towards one that had a locked National Forest gate across it. At this point my rear tire was getting low AGAIN! I walked my bike down the closed road a bit and found a thick section of shoulder and set up the tent. I had just enough water for a few gulps, dinner, then breakfast tomorrow. This was the most challenging day I've had yet and I gave Steph a call for some encouragement. It's always good to have someone to be your rock and she was great and supportive in cheering me up. We decided the weather would be good enough to leave the fly off and see the stars, but that I should hang my food since northern Idaho can have Grizzlies. After some experimentation I got two of the panniers hung from a tree and climbed in my sleeping bag. It's definitely gross to have repaired a couple flats and have ridden 66 miles and not be able to wash up. I just have to deal with it for a couple more days until Missoula. Upon turning off the light I was at least able to have a great view of the night sky through my tent mesh, and the stars and I wished each other a good night.




2 comments:

  1. So apparently Mark isn't the only one that needs to snack regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not, I've found I get MUCH less frustrated at bike troubles if I have a full stomach and not stressed about making it to camp before dark.

      Delete