Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 43: Hot Road into Billings

I hit the road early so I could make the 75 miles into Billings and still have time to explore the city. The past couple days in MT have given me a lot of frontage roads which allow me the direct route of the interstate but without the traffic and debris. The ride was hot but I stopped when possible for a Gatorade or iced tea along the way. Most of the small towns along the way have little more than a street and a gas station so I didn't dawdle too much.

Why is it that the only three jerkoffs I've encountered on the road drive pickups? The first was in Loleta, CA, the second was on Hwy 2 before the Cascades, and the third was here outside of Billings. He was going the opposite direction and when he noticed me he gunned his big boy diesel truck so it created a huge trail of black exhaust for me to ride through. I'm not a fan of stereotypes and I know a number of great people who drive pickups, maybe it's just that the only guys that have soggy meatloaf for brains also happen to need the compensation that a large truck can provide.

Anyway, I made it to the KOA in Billings which is the first KOA in the world. I set up and headed into town by 5 which gave me time to explore. I hit up a western shop and was pretty disappointed with the gear, so I headed for Montana Brewing Co for some much needed food and drink. I'd been skimping along all day to make sure I earned this meal, so I indulged in a 1/2 lb buffalo-bacon-cheddar burger with sweet potato fries and a beer sampler. I'm not a red meat eater but I figured Billings is a pretty good place for my first buffalo burger, and it was quite tasty. Next I cruised town and landed in Yellowstone Valley Brewing Co where Colorado bad Whitewater Ramble was playing live. The music was great, beer was good, and I was having a great time. It's been awhile since I've seen live music and I soaked it up.

I also met Lisa and her husband there which have a daughter that has done some touring as well. We chatted about the experience and she invited me over later to their place where her husband and several other musicians would be jamming.

I killed some time at Rex's with a beer, Ahi salad, and a peach berry cobbler, then headed over. I was pretty impressed with the number of musicians that fit into that living room and the music was superb. Some of us chatted out on the porch for a bit since it was about 75° at 11pm. Needing some good sleep I headed back after not too long and got some on and off shut eye while the neighboring campers partied until 3am.




No comments:

Post a Comment