Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 44: Barren and HOT in MT

A pancake breakfast is served at the KOA for $7 so I took advantage. Since it's apparently KOA's 50th anniversary they were running around the original location with cameras, filming for the upcoming convention (I can't wait, who's coming with me?) and I landed in in the background during breakfast. Once packed I rode to Cabela's to get a few dehydrated dinners and then Albertsons for more food. I also got the worst prepackaged sushi I've ever had. I know they're not the best but at least the rice is usually fully cooked! This topped off a little disappointment in Billings overall. I had hoped for a truly western town but it was a little too modern. It's a fun town and has a good nightlife and nice people, it just wasn't what I expected.

I left around noon and after climbing a hill on I-90 I came across the most barren scene I've come to yet. As far as the eye could see was just dried grassy fields, not even a cross street. I took refuge in the nearest rest area where I talked to a couple and their little kids about my trip. One of the boys couldn't take his excited eyes off the bike, there might be a future tourer in him. Since it had been two days without a flat it seemed I was due for another. I've found the biggest downside to the interstate is not the cars but the debris that gives me flats. Thankfully my poor luck had great timing and glass punctured the tube right before an exit and I was able to change it in the shade of an overpass instead of the blistering heat.

I stopped in Hardin for a Gatorade and some food and ended up at Subway, it being the recommended deli in town. With this heat I've been needing fresh and cool food, a bit different from some of the pub fare so far. The sandwich maker informed me that it was 101° outside! I kept up with the sunscreen and water and continued on to Crow Agency where I happened upon a rodeo. I watched a couple guys get tossed from the bulls really quick, the announcer repeating over and over that this guy and that guy got a no score.

I pit stopped at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Park before camp. The history is interesting but the park itself is little more than a lot of tombstones and fields, so I read the placards and saw the National Cemetery there, then headed out to 7th Ranch Campground. I got a nice site with a view of the sunset and started to cook when i remembered the half chocolate bar I had in the food pannier. It was of course melted all over the place, no more chocolate for awhile. The owner was grear and they give out ice cream sandwiches to each camper as well! It was a warm clear night so I slept with the fly off and got to end a long hot day with some beautiful constellations.




No comments:

Post a Comment