Saturday, June 2, 2012

Health Check: Mind, Body, and Bike After 3 Weeks

I've been at this for three weeks now and I figured it would be a good time for some musings, both for my own note taking and for anyone who's planning a tour and comes across this.

MIND:
So far this trip has been amazing. I've met wonderful, helpful people and heard some interesting stories. Camping and the outdoors have always quenched my thirst and I've had such a great time immersed in this adventure. There have been a couple trying moments but nothing has required more than a deep breath and some effort.

BODY:
My legs have certainly strengthened over the last 1000 miles and they feel more capable than ever to handle the load. I've been low on energy at times but I've found that when a dog chases me or a truck is approaching and there's a guardrail and no shoulder, I can muster the energy to get past the hurdle. I haven't stretched much, especially in the mornings, they just take a little warm up walk to get going. My butt is still a little sore, especially the first several miles of every day, but I'm no longer sitting down on campsite benches gingerly. I've had almost no chaffing and zero saddle sores. And for those few who may be concerned for future grandchildren, I've had no perennial pressure or numbness at all, thanks to an upright riding position.

BIKE:
Babe has had no major malfunctions yet, just a slow leak in the front tire tube. I added Loctite to some rack screws awhile back and it's worked great keeping things secure. I've replaced the brake pads and got some handlebar gel pads for the hand areas since the paws were getting a little tingly on long rides, still need to install them.

GEAR:
I've been really happy with most of my gear so far. The tent and sleeping bag have kept me cozy, and their stuff sack and Sea-to-Summit waterproof compression sack have kept them dry in pouring rain. The Ortlieb panniers are water tight and are excellent. The rain gear is mostly working out, except the shoe covers and pants. One or the other isn't quite long enough so I have to sag the pants a little to keep just above the ankles dry and water from dripping down into my socks. I found out through trial and no error that my odometer and GPS are also waterproof.

LIKES:
Hiker/Biker Campsites: They're cheaper and almost always open.
Interstates: Faster, more level, wide shoulders, great from points A to B.
Bike Trails: No cars, scenic riding.
Smells: Fir when a logging truck passes, jerky and pizza at food processing plants, a strange warm sweetness in the cool of the Ave of Giants, wort near active breweries, etc.
Sun: It feels fantastic being outside so much every day.
Continental Travel Contact tires: I'll never tour without them now, they're smooth on pavement but have grip on dirt and gravel. They've allowed me to explore a dirt road when desired and avoid cars on a sandy shoulder when necessary.
Rearview Mirror: It's been very useful when changing lanes quickly or swerving to avoid debris.
Construction Zones: Most of the time there's little activity and the cones give me a shoulder or lane to myself, sans cars.

DISLIKES:
Interstates: They're noisy, dirty, and often not very scenic.
Bike Trails: Unfortunately most dedicated trails skip downtown areas which are so full of activity. If this trip were all about biking I would love bike trails, but too often I find myself skipping them to be able to explore.
Dogs: Being chased by a dog sucks.
Headwind: Still the most frustrating part of a ride, terrible for morale when all my efforts yield little result.
Rain: Makes for messy clothes and gear, and squeaky gears. But still better than a headwind.
Bumps/Dips: I stand up in every one. Sure my butt can handle a few but doesn't it endure enough?

Advice I've heeded:
Adrian: Going uphill, focus on close term distances like a rock or sign, looking at the top makes it seem much further. Then just pay attention to the spinning motion and having efficient movement, you'll get there sooner than you think.
Joel: You're gonna have great times and bad times. What's important is to realize when it's a bad time and that it will pass.

Advice I've ignored:
"Why use clip-in pedals? These shoes work just fine!": Because clip-ins allow me to use more of my legs and pedal more efficiently.
"Avoid the interstate": see Likes above.
"Pack as light as possible": I've taken some of this to heart and sent back unnecessary items, but "luxuries" like a small speaker and a pair of light running shoes have made camp much more comfortable.



2 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff. Can't believe you made 97 miles one day with close to 100 pounds of gear and bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 mile day is hard core dude.

    I never thought about having to set up a tent in the rain. Luxuries of summer time camping in California. Sounds like you got it mastered though.

    ReplyDelete