Monday, June 18, 2012

Days 34 & 35: Break Time in Missoula

For my first full day in Missoula I started out doing some long overdue laundry and dropped my bike off at the Bike Doctor for a tune-up. I headed downtown for lunch at Iron Horse Brew Pub, which unfortunately doesn't actually brew their own beer. Since I was nearby I decided to check out the Adventure Cycling office. They had a greeter come out and we chatted about my trip. The whole place was made for biking and was pretty exciting to see. There were bikes placed all over that have been used by the staff for cross-country trips for the past several decades. They gave me a free years membership and I bought a t-shirt and map of the Lewis and Cark Trail which I'll be able to ride further on in Montana. They also took a pic of me for their Wall of Fame on which they cycle (pun absolutely intended) pictures through as they fill up the wall. Knowing that not everyone has family in Missoula to be a home, they have a sitting room with free ice cream and drinks so I took advantage and snacked over some maps.

Still in search of some local brews I found myself at Tamarack Brewing where their 11 beer taster set is only $8! I walked it off a little by cruising the town and checking out the Clark Fork River and Caras Park, and having a beer at my uncle's bar, The Rhino. It was fun to be in there after hearing so much about it and not really remembering ever being in there. There are a full 50 taps, mostly stocked with delicious beers so I made my choice and hung out with Brad until Betsy and Rachel came downtown to meet us for dinner at the Thursday night market. After a burrito and double scoop of local ice cream (Big Dipper's Cardamom and Espresso Heath flavors are both fantastic), I found myself back at the Rhino for a Chocolate Stout to finish the night.

Friday morning I got a call from the Bike Doctor with some bad news. It seems that when I first put Babe together I bought bike wheels meant for disc brakes only, and I've been using rim brakes. This means that the side walls aren't as sturdy and run the risk of "exploding" as the Bike Doc explained. On a back wheel perhaps it's not too big of a deal but on the front? Well imagine flying down a hill, applying the breaks, and all of a sudden losing the front wheel, not a good scene. So the next couple hours were filled with me (with Frank's assistance) looking for wheels, seeing if the wheels I have truly wouldn't work, what to do, etc. Frank found a set at REI, which they had, then they didn't then they found again. Ultimately I'll get a new set before leaving here since to risk continuing with the current wheels is not an option.

Brad and I hit the bar for one more beer before picking up Nat and Dad, and mid-beer got the call from Nat that they had landed. Slam the beer, rush over, and there were my dad and sister here in Montana! We piled in and hit the road north to Lake Blaine, making a tasty pit-stop at Flathead Lake Brewing Co. Eventually we got up to the lake and met Betsy and the other cousin Katie. They have a great little house on Lake Blaine which is a nice little lake just big enough for boating but small enough to be pretty calm most of the day.


I'm definitely excited to hang out with Nat and Dad, it's great that they came up here and we were able to make the timing work. It'll be fun to chill for the weekend on the lake and have a mini family reunion with the other Martens'!

1 comment:

  1. Crazy! I'm glad you took your bike in and that Frank is a bike master!

    ReplyDelete